Monday, February 14, 2011

Tiling Completed!

Well almost. We finished the grouting yesterday. There is a light white haze on the tiles now that must be cleaned off today. A damp sponge will suffice and finish the job. After that we caulk! Yep I'll tape up the seams and caulk the edges and seams tomorrow.

Alright I said I'd write a blog review on Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley & Livingstone.

It truly is a grand and epic story. Dr. David Livingstone, missionary, explorer, and national hero was sent back to Africa to discover the source of the Nile after the last expedition ended in controversy. What started out as a two year trek ended in a lifetime adventure filled with disease, robbery, horrible weather and conditions, attack from warring tribes, and a myriad of calamities that led many to believe that Dr. Livingstone had died after years with no contact.

Henry Morton Stanley, the unwanted son of a prostitute, abandoned as a child and in search of a father figure his entire life. He drifted from failure to failure until he hit upon writing. A talent he developed as a correspondent. Begging a job from the New York Herald he proves himself and scoops the British press in his first story. His lifelong journey to become a better person starts there and while he was always very deeply flawed you find yourself cheering for him.

His editor gives him the assignment of a lifetime, answer the one burning question everyone in the world is asking, "Where is Doctor Livingstone?" He secretly starts his assignment a year in advance per his editor's orders so as to not cause a stir and draw attention to himself. Then he lands in Africa, penniless as the paper had forgotten to wire him the funds to start his rescue mission inland.

What happens from that point on is a story that will enthrall you as it did me. I read the three hundred some odd pages in less than a week on my iPhone's Kindle app and my Kindle. I realize that many of you can knock out three hundred pages in a couple of days or less (including The Date who reads at the speed of light) however I read much slower and can only steal a few moments from work now and then to read.

The Kindle app will sync the last page read to my Kindle so when I get home I sync the Kindle and it'll pick up right where I left off in seconds. Darn amazing device!
I plan on reading more now and watching less TV. That's my goal anyway.

No comments: