Sunday, July 05, 2009

Awesome Day

Yesterday was the kind of day I love. Such a monumental holiday as the birth of our nation was celebrated for the two hundred thirty third time, it always calls for moments of reflection to start the day as to where we started and where we are going.
I did that, during the very pleasant rainstorm with a cigar.

Then it demands that you see or speak to your family. Did that, my brother and mom both came over and talked for a while, mom with cupcakes:)

Thirdly a great holiday needs to be shared with friends. That took up the bulk of the day and evening! I could not ask for better friends, no one could. First we stopped by my filmmaking buddies house for shishkabobs. Then Skate, Jassie, KN, DK, MAC, Ky, and a half dozen others (whom I just don't have nicknames for yet so don't take it personal that I don't mention you here) from the cast of Into The Woods showed up at the director's house for a cookout, pool fun, and general frivolity....and singing...

I could do without the singing but I loved every part of the day...save one. Our local sportscaster had left and stopped back by with some sad news. Former veteran quarterback Steve McNair had been found shot and killed. McNair was always a class act, one of the good guys in the NFL from what I have read. He never posted Manning like numbers but his teams were always happy to put the ball in his hands and let him make the plays. No one is sure what has happened at this point yet but a murder/suicide is suspected.

It has been a sad couple of weeks for celebrities. What I find morbid however and beyond bad taste is that there will be tickets drawn from a lottery for people to attend the Michael Jackson memorial service. I understand that a lot of people want to go but to me it just seems like a hot ticket event and something I would have no part of. It is ghoulish to me, the jackals will be there.

Don't believe me? I bet you that whoever is selected for the event (if you can call a funeral an event) will be scalping their tickets for thousands of dollars. The tickets are free but someone has to profit from this. Its sick.

No comments: