Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yummy!!!!

I decided to put the pork roast on earlier than I was going to. Since I wrapped it when the roast passed the one hundred eighty degree mark I knew it wouldn't overcook and would be moist.

I don't like the idea of putting water in a smoker to cook with, to me it is better with dry heat and let the meat itself take care of the moisture. There are massive threads on BBQ forums about water vs. dry. I do believe inject-ables (which I didn't use on this roast) will add flavor and keep a bigger piece of meat moist.

While it was wrapped and about an hour from serving I made the vinegar sauce and it got pretty much bad reviews other than me. The Date and Thing 2 didn't quite like the vinegar taste.

Agreed that it's an acquired taste but I thought it added a flavor to the pork that was far different from the normal sweet KC taste we are used to. It was more of a sweet/sour taste similar to the generic sauce you'd find on a Chinese buffet but with the vinegar twang.

After I wrapped the pork and put it back onto the BGE, I shut down the vents so that it would retain heat but not cook any further. The tissue would continue to break down which leads to the falling apart factor that we all love. I brought the roast in and let it rest for about a half hour before I started to pull it. I did literally pull it apart with a fork and it didn't take much effort at all.

Taste was good, tons of moisture (as the BGE message boards said would happen) fork tender, and lots of leftovers for many sandwiches this week:) It's a success and definitely something I'll make on the BGE many more times:)

No comments: