Monday, June 14, 2010

Big Things

Yesterday my production company hired a sales manager. He approached me a few weeks ago about the potential he saw in the business and we worked out a commission schedule that will reward him for a job well done.

He has lots of connections with the local and state music industry which could be a very lucrative untapped market for us to explore. I made it abundantly clear that this is the ground floor of the business and his work is important to its success. The theory being that if we get things rolling now while the economy is horrible then we could be in a prime position when it recovers and we get back to the 5% unemployment we once had.

The great advantage we have is that we have no overhead to speak of. Our equipment has been paid for, Beersnob purchased the software upgrades out of his own pocket, no loan necessary, our prices reflect that advantage. The business itself will purchase any additional upgrades we might need as I refuse to go into debt to fund this company.

I do the nuts and bolts work, he pushes us with new business and in new directions, Beersnob will be learning the software while in Iraq for the next six months. Upon his return he will likely be doing both aspects of the job, sales and production work.

We will really see what the potential of this business is in the next six months. It would be a nice problem to have if I had a spot to shoot every evening and several on a weekend.

I'd love it if there were several music videos to shoot in the future. That'd be a great creative exploration of what I can do with a camera and some motivated individuals. I hope that we land at least one anyway, I'd love to try my hand at a very creative endeavor such as a music video.

No comments: