Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eighteen Years

Today is my eighteenth anniversary at work.

It doesn't sound like a lot when you say it out loud but when you've worked it then it seems like a much longer time. I really thought that I wouldn't be out there over five years, at five then I didn't think it would be over ten years. Now I know better and I'm shooting for thirty.

After thirty years I'm eligible to collect the pension. A prime benefit that is all privately funded. It isn't dependent upon taxpayers to fund nor is it a burden to the public sector.

By the time I've worked long enough to be eligible, which is just twelve more years, it'll be worth enough to replace my current income. If the market should skyrocket again like it did under the last administration then it'll be worth much more and would likely replace my income in ten years. A good, healthy stock market would also boost my 401k's worth so it would be a great retirement supplement when I'm eligible for that.

Eighteen years. That's a long time but I'm over half way done now.

No comments: