Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Songs That Still Choke Me Up

Ok as you who know me know that I recently turned forty, yeah the big four zero. On my way from dropping Thing 2 off for rehearsal and getting back to watch over Thing 1 while The Date had to work Jimmy Dean's Big Bad John came on Sirius.

I still get a lump in my throat when I hear that song. It made me think of all the songs that still choke me up, still to this day. These are in no particular order but as I remember them and how they affect me.

So without further ado here you go:
Obviously Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean.
Red Sovine (yes I LOVE Red Sovine, one of the staples of the 8-track tape days when Dad would take me trucking with him when I was very young) - Teddy Bear, Phantom 309 (still one of my favorites to this day), Giddy Up Go, and the amazing Little Joe. (I'm tearing up a little just by thinking about Little Joe in fact)

A few that are more contemporary are a bit easier.
Kathy Mattea - Where've You Been (Sort of how I see The Date and I winding up after many many good years together)
Sawyer Brown - The Walk (A time goes on song about a father and son, very real for me as I spent more time with my Dad over the last few months of his life and took the father role over from him)
Conway Twitty - That's My Job (My Dad loved this song because it's a great father/son song and reminded him of he and his dad, and he and I)
Brad Paisley (With the literal voice of an Angel on Earth Alison Krause) Whiskey Lullaby.
Sentimental but not that sad, Dan Seals - Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold as well as Pirates of the Mississippi - Feed Jake.
Gene Watson - Farewell Party, and Paper Rosie.
Of course the legendary George Jones with his best country song of all time, He Stopped Loving Her Today.
Patty Loveless is an amazing balladeer with - Here I Am, and You Don't Even Know Who I Am.


That'll do for now. If you see me tearing up in public and one of these songs is on, well you'll just have to excuse me. I'll likely fake a yawn to cover my eyes but you'll know why. I'll be ok when the song ends.

No comments: