Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Quiet Memorial Day

I decided to hold a small cookout for friends and family. Literally a small cookout with ten people in attendance and five of them were family:) I warmed up the pulled pork, grilled garlic burgers, and bratwursts.

My mom made a spicy black bean dip that was amazing, The Date made a huge dish of macaroni and cheese, also amazing, and Beersnob (and his family) brought over hamburger buns. Court and Teehee joined the fun and we just had a quiet day together.

After we finished eating we decided to go fishing for a little bit. So we headed to a small public pond and met Witchy there with her children and wards. Court caught her first fish, a small bluegill.

The Date caught a couple of fish. I caught none. Thing 2 gave up early. I fought backlash on my reel and replaced the line with a mono filament and even that backlashed a bit.

I worked the tuning to try and get it to stop spinning as fast as it was and used my thumb on the reel constantly. If the timing was off just a fraction though you'd get a bird's nest of line around your reel.

Not a big fan of spinning reels. They are nice and can cast a lot of baits but a bait caster is also very nice and is for heavier baits and heavier fish. Not that that part matters where we are fishing, the bait caster just feels good in my hands though.

Next I might look into one with a magnetic braking system to keep the reel from spinning so fast.

No comments: