Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sleep? Who Needs it?

Up twice with the dog this past night. I'm up now because, well this is the time I get up anyway and it's too close to shooting time. Coffee made on the new Bunn coffee maker, my wife's favorite and I'm ready to wake up and get to shooting this morning at 8:30.

The past two nights have been horrible Starcraft nights. Abostang was tired the night before and we went one and two, last night we were both ready and promptly lost our first game, second game, won our third game handily and then lost our fourth and fifth. We quit after that so our ranking didn't slide more. I didn't count one other game because one of the opponents lagged out and his partner quit giving us the automatic win. The one big win we had though was against a favored opponent. We beat them badly and gained a substantial amount of points from the win moving us up in ranking to fifteen! The losses weren't ranking killers though thankfully!

Technically we went two and four but as I said one win was an automatic win. Something in our strategy the past two nights is off but we are going down the check list and getting things built when we always built them. I know a lot of pros attack around the five minute mark. Maybe that's what we are going to try next. Our early pressure has been weak at best and needs to step up.

I'm going to research some faster build orders. Watch more pro matches on You Tube, take more notes. I've got to improve. Abostang is already a fast builder and generally has the highest ranking economy and score at the end of the match and when we lose he is usually second.

The balancing act is I go out and build up our early defenses, hurting my economy to start to give Abostang the chance to build his fast expansion and get his economy rolling faster. Zerg build fast and it's far easier to get him going and concentrate on our base defense. I've got to find a better balance between defense and getting my offense rolling early.

Yes I have work to do.

No comments: