Thursday, March 29, 2007

Another Rainy Day

Very rainy in fact. It was so rainy that there was an internet outage so I couldn't update my blog this morning. That is alright though I'm doing it now!

Well I have three Netflix movies that I haven't been able to get to with all of the super being busy in the evenings with the rehearsals. That is alright though I'll get to them soon enough.

I just watched a short about heroes online. I love finding gems like that. It presented Mahatma Gandhi as being a racist. While I haven't done any research into this I won't speculate whether he was or wasn't.

What I'll speculate about is what makes up a hero to me.

I know that I personally hold in high esteem a handful of people for various reasons. Some for skills, some for mercy and charity, some for personal reasons, and some for who knows why.
Some you have probably heard of and some you never will unless you know me and we have chatted or hung out.

What people don't want to think about is that their heroes are also human, prone to the same temptations as the rest of us. They are just as weak as we are, struggle just as much, and probably have the same vices or maybe even worse.

Alright so back to Gandhi for a second, say he was as much of a racist as your local KKK member, what he became was bigger than who he was or might have been as a person. Does that make him less of an important figure? He was human after all.

I see it like this, there are some excellent teachers out there who might have failed many times over but they have the skills to make learning enjoyable. Because they have those skills they might teach someone who is stronger in those areas that the teacher is weak in.

I've said this before in my blog, somewhere I'm sure, someone somewhere has to have high ideals, no matter how idealistic they might be, as a guide for the rest of us to live up to. Even though we might fail to reach them (I know I fail miserably to live up to many of the things I believe in) there will be those among us who can.

They are heroes and as such become role models to those who identify with them. Yeah they might have different weaknesses, vices, habits, and downfalls. They also inspire those who might have different weaknesses, vices, habits, and downfalls.

What a circle huh?

No comments: