Sunday, March 04, 2007

Ultimate Band Lineup

Alright since it is Sunday evening and I have plenty of free time on my hands I have been exploring the depths of You Tube. One of my favorite sites on all of the web. Not only does You Tube host Drinkbusters, my project of fun and love, but it also has thousands of live concert videos!

So I have decided to construct my perfect band lineup. A band that would not only have thrived twenty years ago but would thrive twenty years from now! Yeah a band in the hard rock/metal genre since few people I know are familiar with the country music artists I know. Yes my friends I want you to relate to this lineup!

Alright first I need to qualify the idea of band. I am going to list a singer, two guitars, bass, and drums. Two guitars because I like that lineup best and it is my blog and my list so my rules:)

First drums: I can think of a few that would fill this role, Lars Ulrich, Neil Peart, Tommy Lee, Matt Sorum, Steven Adler, John Bonham, I could go on but I out of these I am going to go with Lars Ulrich. He is just amazing, powerful, can drum off beat and carry a show by himself. Yes he can be a whiner but this is about drumming skills not the personality.

Bass guitar: Geddy Lee, Nikki Sixx, Geezer Butler, Jason Newstead, Cliff Burton, Flea, all are great! Top notch! But I'm going to go with Duff McKagen. To me he is the very definition of bass guitar. He had one of the best runs with one of the best metal bands of all time in GnR and as such deserves this spot even though the band self destructed far too early.

Guitar: There are lots of bands who have two guitars and were great. GnR for one, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, the last blue jeans rock n roll band Tesla, AC/DC, and a few more. So I'm going to name two guitarist here, they may both be leads but that doesn't matter much, they will rock. First I am going to go with Angus Young. Absolutely amazing, stunning energy, a prolific career, hard riffs, incredible finger work and all that packed into a body that is less than five and a half feet tall.

So now who is left? There are plenty of guitar players who have based their entire bands just on their ability like Jimi Hendrix, Ted Nugent, Eddie Van Halen, and Steve Vai. Now this is going to be a surprise pick for most of you but I am going to go with Stevie Ray Vaughn. This man was THE MAN! He easily surpassed Jimi Hendrix. Yeah go ahead and say it is guitar blasphemy but it is true. Don't believe me? Listen to both versions of Voodoo Chile and tell me which one gets your blood pumping. He could do things with a guitar that people still can't do.

Now for the all important singer. Who do you want to front your band? Someone who is charismatic, powerful, the person you think of when you think of a band! There have been so many great ones, Robert Plant, Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Jim Morrison, even Alice Cooper? But I am thinking a bit more contemporary is best for this list though. So we have Vince Neil, Axl Rose, James Hetfield, Ronnie James Dio, Layne Staley, Geoff Tate, Jeff Keith? Rob Halford, Don Dokken, Bruce Dickinson, Ozzy, Klaus Meine?

There are so many to choose from and it is a really hard decision to make but the one person I want fronting the ultimate band is someone who can reach any note with ease. The one man who can do anything he can dream of on stage and it won't even bother him. The one man who is as diverse and powerful as they come. Chris Cornell. This is the singer I want fronting my ultimate band. He is everything you could ever want in a singer and more. He can do anything he wants on stage and just tear it up!

So the ultimate band lineup is:
Chris Cornell on vocals
Angus Young and Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar duty
Duff McKagen on bass
Lars Ulrich on drums

Can you make a better lineup than that?
I think not!

No comments: