Tuesday, March 06, 2007

More Of What You Really Are?

I listen to a lot of sports radio at work. It is enjoyable, helps the day go by faster, and just generally good to listen to.

There is one host who has a theory that alcohol and massive sums of money will make you more of what you really are inside already. That those two things will allow the real you to come out since with alcohol you just start to loosen up the control you keep on the real you and with money, well a lot of rules don't apply to you anymore.

I have known people that when you are at a bar with them and they get a couple of beers into them you start to wonder who in the world you are sitting next to. It is a good thing they aren't wealthy or I'd have to wonder who in the world I have been around for a lot longer. So for the most part over the past couple of years I have pared down my drinking companions to a handful. Those that I really enjoy being around and that we have all been drunk around each other so we are comfortable.

The downside to that is that a lot of times when I want a drinking companion I can't find one and if you will recall my post about running out of drinking partners then those experiences are the genesis of that decision a long time ago. Before I started writing this blog anyway:)

So I wonder, like I always do, what kind of person am I when drunk or when insanely rich? Well since for the time being I only have experience with the latter I believe I can answer that question as I am a happy drunk. I believe that many of my friends who have seen me that drunk can attest to that fact.

So according to the theory of the radio host does that mean I am that inside and alcohol just lets it out? Would I be a happy rich guy? Would I do half of the antics I used to do drunk sober if I were rich? I am sure that I would be different in a lot of ways but I'd like to think I could afford to be more generous to my friends and family.

I'd like to think that I could actually change the world for the better, at least for those around me. To ease their sufferings and lighten their burdens however idealistic those really are that is what I'd like to think.

I am an idealistic person, if we don't have high ideals then how in the world can we ever strive to improve ourselves or the world around us?
If we don't have a high water mark then how do we know what is possible and strive for that?

I'd like to think that when I am drunk the good guy gets out for a bit, if I were insanely rich the good guy would be the one who didn't care what people thought about him while he was making the world a better place.

See the point is, why can't I be that guy now while I'm sober and broke?

No comments: