Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Concert

I walked in clearly anticipating tons of people in the stands for the benefit show. My heart fell when about three hundred people were there. People filed in over the next half hour or so and before the opening act started they announced we could move in closer but not on the floor, that's how few people there were.

Shawna Russell did a great job, she didn't let the size of the crowd bother her or the show. I wasn't quite as happy, I was hurt, angry, and just in a bad mood by then.

By the time she left the stage and they prepared the stage for John Michael Montgomery the crowd had gotten bigger, the floor seats weren't filled up, maybe half way or so. The seats in the stands contained maybe three hundred. The place is cavernous and it's hard to estimate people. The Date thought that maybe twelve hundred people attended.

I say it wasn't close to a thousand. My mood hadn't improved either, it might have gotten worse, it must have since The Date noticed and asked if I was mad about attendance. I clearly was.

There were so few people on the floor that they opened up the floor seats to everyone. We stayed in the stands to get a better view though. John Michael Montgomery played the show like it was sold out and standing room only.

I kept texting my filmmaker friend Chris and finally I rationalized it in my head to where I wasn't as angry. To take a family of four to the show it would have been over a hundred dollars. Contrast that with the fireworks show that was postponed from last weekend's holiday, it had been rescheduled for the same night. There was also an annual motorcycle run in town that occupied hundreds of people.

Both events were free. I understand that, times are tough which was the actual reason the concert was being held. Budget cuts had the senior centers in trouble, the economy had forced the cuts. The same economy that had people out of work and looking for free entertainment options.

I guess I was the victim of high expectations, the cause was just and necessary. I hope the people that did show up made the difference for the centers.

Both performers were great shows, both didn't let the size of the crowd bother them in the least. Shawna Russell's show announced that for every CD that as bought up front they'd donate five dollars of it to the cause and she'd autograph it free. JMM singed things before the show for the silent auction and a man on the front row had a guitar singed by him.

JMM asked the man if there was a reason he had the guitar sitting in front of him, the man said he had signed it for the event. JMM said it was a good guitar. It was also a good show, he deserved a ton of credit for coming and doing the event for free except for his traveling expenses. That's a big hearted man.

No comments: