Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Face The Day

Yesterday was just a bad day. Not in general as events unfolded but I felt bad, not sick bad just bad bad.

I wanted to go find a dark hideyhole and hibernate for a week. I learned an important lesson though. I sold one of The Date's text books on eBay a week ago. The new owner wasn't happy with the condition even though it was used. I didn't argue with the customer and treated her fairly. She wished to return the text book, I told her not a problem, ship it back and I'll refund her money. She asked for a five dollar credit now to ship it back with as good faith I'd follow through on the refund.

I sent her ten. She was impressed with my customer service that she said we'd just call it even if I wanted to as she felt that a small refund like that was worth it for the condition (used, it's a used text book, they are never in mint condition) it was in. I agreed and voila, problem solved without getting angry, upset, or berating the customer.

That made the long day much better! I spent the evening in Dogpatch, I've got a show every evening and Sunday afternoon. I did a final tweak on the lights last night so I was messing with them with actors on stage. They are used to it by now and they as well as the musicians are doing a good job with poor material, but I won't rehash that blog post.

What do you do when you feel like I did yesterday? You want to give up but give up what? Clock out, quit, and become an alcoholic scrounging through the couch for loose change for your next pint? It wouldn't be long and you wouldn't have a couch anymore. That's an option but not a desirable option to me.

Do you just power through and put a smile on? I wasn't in the smiling mood but it's a better option than number one.

I used option three. Got through the day as best I could, went home and found a quiet place to close my eyes and collect my thoughts for about forty five minutes. It was nice and I felt refreshed after. No alcohol to help me cope with anything, no cigar to relax me, just a quiet half hourish on a love seat in our bedroom by myself. Although it wasn't the week long hibernation I'd have hoped for it did the job and my liver is better for it as I didn't punish it for my emotions.

I'm better today after a good night's sleep. I hope you are too!

No comments: