Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rainy Night

I mowed yesterday, good thing too as it rained what seemed like all night long. In reality it was probably only a couple of hours or so. I'm glad I got it done yesterday though or it'd be a lot harder to do coming up!

Washed dishes, made enchiladas, got a few supplies to make Claussen dill pickles, and watched Ice Station Zebra on TCM as well as The Caine Mutiny. Is this what life will be like after I retire? I can only hope!

I also did a little bit of looking into the origin of Mason jars. I had never seen a brand with the name Mason on them. So I wondered if why they were called Mason. Turns out John Landis Mason invented the shoulder sealing lid in 1858 along with a zinc cap. Before that people used wax, cork, or leather sealers. The Mason jar had a threaded neck for the new cap to screw onto. Home food preservation was never the same after that.

Like most inventors who had a brilliant and culturally changing ideas, he sold his rights and died broke in 1902. Before home freezers were commercially viable in the home this was the newest bestest thing to preserve food in the home.

No comments: