Monday, August 28, 2006

A Recent Re-Discovery

Yep, recently I decided to explore the Gentle Giant of Country Music's body of work.

The other night Chris and I were going to Wal-Mart when Don Williams started to sing on my Sirius radio. His rich baritone voice soothed my dash speakers when Chris asked, "Who's that?"

"Don Williams", I replied without even looking at the name. His voice is one of the most recognized in country music. Sadly he has been all but forgotten today and has gone the way of John Conlee, Mel McDaniel, Earl Thomas Conley, T.G. Sheppard, Ronnie Milsap, and Eddy Raven. Mainly singers from that time period where country was at its lowest in terms of popularity. You can add the Mandrell sisters in there and a few others. This was just before the Garth Brooks revolution that rescued an entire industry.

Before singers like Alan Jackson, Clint Black, and Travis Tritt. Well before Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, and singers of that ilk. Not that they are bad, just not the same.

That is the beauty of Satellite Radio, you hear things you haven't heard in years. Songs you remember from long ago and it prompts you to get their CDs out and give them a listen again!

So that is what happened to me and Don Williams. I enjoyed it so much that I went out and bought a Don Williams CD for Chris since he enjoys country music as well.

Don Williams was one of the premier singers of the 70's and early 80's in American Country Music. He is known for ballads mostly. He sings gentle songs which coupled with his deep and rich voice just make it easy to listen to and enjoy. In fact you can't help but enjoy any song from Don Williams.

They are slow and gentle and you would probably be amazed at how many you have heard before but didn't know who sang them. Songs such as If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do), I Believe In You, Tulsa Time, Good Ole Boys Like Me, and Lord I Hope This Day Is Good are wonderful songs. You would do yourself a favor just to hear one or two:)

No comments: