Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Regrets

After hearing a friend talk a couple of weeks ago about regrets I kept thinking, "Do I have any?"

It might be trendy to say, NOPE, I'd do it all the same way!!!!

But for me that isn't true at all. I have a thousand and one regrets. After assuring another friend that I didn't kill anyone or commit some kind of felony after my "Mass of Men" post, I came to the conclusion that there are a lot of legal things that you can do that aren't illegal at all but that are just as bad.

For example you can hurt someone by something you say and only after a lot of time regret saying it. You can use someone for your own benefit by sucking up to someone and when you have accomplished your goal, discard them. You can betray someone's trust in you. You can boldly lie to someone. You can also hurt someone by not doing anything like driving by someone in need by the side of the road or not helping someone when you could.

I suppose these are the things I regret and if I had to do it all over again, I might make the same decisions but I'd like to think I wouldn't.

I've done a lot of stupid things I regret.

The consequences of those regrets are that now I'm trying to do things I'll never regret. So perhaps I've been shaped and molded into someone who is better for having done a ton of stupid things and if I could look into the future with any certainty and see if I'm doing something stupid now and don't realize it, I'd probably change it but I can't do that so I'm sure that I'll have another thousand and one regrets someday.

No comments: