Wednesday, August 03, 2011

American BBQ

Yesterday at work was murder. I was in a foul and grumpy mood all day long for various reasons the least of which was the weather. It did cause me to start daydreaming though and thinking about what I would do next if I didn't have the job I had.

I came to the conclusion of a restaurant owner in Belize. Might start off as a street vendor selling American BBQ. I really believe Oklahoma BBQ is a cut above the competition. I know of several great teams, some of the best in the nation are from Oklahoma. I've learned a lot from my coworker who regularly competes with many of these teams in fact.

The menu could be very simple, pulled pork and brisket, perhaps ribs but I'm not sure on that right now. Add coleslaw as a side and serve on bread and that's BBQ. I'd slow smoke the foods which is done around the world no doubt but as I said I believe ours is a cut above. The bark, the marinades I know, the sauces I can create, it'd be a lot of fun if nothing else!

Are there really any other cities in the world that are known for their BBQ? Is there a Memphis, Charleston, or Kansas City out there that is known for their BBQ?

You know something? Even if it didn't work out and I believe that since there is a large population of Americans in Belize that it would do just fine, I'd still be living off the coast of the Caribbean Sea!

Anyone want to open a restaurant in Belize with me? I could be convinced to leave soon enough!

No comments: