Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Win Over A Liberal

So my rather contentious and sometimes heated debate likely came to a close yesterday with a win in the conservative column. I had him on the ropes last week when he started talking about welfare and how it was reformed in the nineties under a GOP congress and Clinton.

Naturally I struck a hard blow by informing him that under Obama those reforms were repealed which really took him by surprise. At that point I knew I had actually won the debate. His godlike Obama had actually done something he thought was going to hurt the country...as if all of Obama's policies aren't harmful to our country.

So he said he was going to research it and read the bill...I haven't heard back on that debate but instead on Monday I read is latest attempt to win after such a backbreaking blow. He insisted that Warren Buffet knew more about the economy than I did. Which is absolutely true. Buffet is a fan of more taxes for the wealthiest whatever percentage he thinks is fair.

I replied that Buffet is a private sector individual and creates more private sector jobs in the world than many companies combined. He's a powerful businessman and smart on top of that. It's completely his right as an American to pay more taxes if he feels that way and no one is stopping him from writing a five billion dollar check each week to pay more taxes if he feels he should be.

Then knowing my liberal nemesis was actually talking about taxes on the rich I directed him to this site and simply said this is what I support as far as tax reform.

He read the site and replied back that he wanted to know more and would read more about the Fair Tax. He liked the idea! So instead of rubbing his nose in my victory which I really wanted to do by saying that he agreed with the Tea Party now, and a conservative idea he didn't like or agree with at all, I let it go.

Perhaps I'll just take my victory in silence. I know he'll return someday with some other argument and I'll call him on it and it'll lead to another weeks long email debate. Or perhaps I opened that door in his head that will lead him away from his childish liberal ways and into the way America is supposed to work.

Government's main role is the defense of our liberties, everyone gets an equal chance at their own American dream but that does not guarantee success or an equal outcome. Just the opportunity should be afforded to everyone, after that it's up to you and the government should not hinder you in any way.

But for now a win is a win.

No comments: