Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hiding In The Mountains

I'm going to let you all in on a secret fantasy of mine.

There are two forms of media that have explained my fantasy and that I hold dear to my beating heart. One is a book and the second is a song.

First the song. David Allen Coe's Please Come To Boston( yeah I know Dave Loggins wrote it but Coe made it great). The verse where he asks his woman to please come to Denver for the Winter so they can move up into the mountains and get lost together. Coe's strained voice romanticizes the winter in a cabin and everything good about being with a loved one and being wrapped up in them.

The second is a book by Terry Goodkind called Faith Of The Fallen. In that book Richard Rahl moves him and his wife Kahlan Amnell (and bodyguard Cara) into a cabin he has constructed in some far off mountains so she can rest after being nearly killed after an attack that leaves her near death. What results is the happiest part of their lives together as she gains her strength back. He teaches Kahlan and Cara about how to survive and how beautiful the world is around them despite a massive invading army that is on the cusp of destroying his world.

I've always wanted to be able to be dependent upon myself, to have the skills to actually live in the wild, build a nice cabin, you know live off of the land. However I know that is a delusion. I need things like air conditioning, electricity, and indoor plumbing. That just leaves a nice furnished cabin and a mountain range to complete my fantasy.

Oh yeah I've frequently thought about what my cabin would look like and where it would be. Sorry, those are private:)

The idea has always appealed to me about isolation and hiding from the world with someone you loved. Like nothing can touch us. Nothing can effect that moment of happiness. Nothing can invade that moment of perfect happiness where all is right, the Sun comes up, the moon lights the night, and the air is crisp and clean.

1 comment:

blu said...

Winning the lottery will get a lot of people I know a lot closer to all of their dreams.