Sunday, October 29, 2006

Bonds, Free Agency, And Week 8

Well the world series is over with and no one watched it....again. No one watched the World Series until the Red Sox made it in and no one has watched it since. I can't back this up with anything other than what ESPN radio reported but Dancing With The Stars beat the World Series in the ratings.

That is the state of the MLB. There needs to be some major changes if the league is going to remain viable otherwise it is going to loose ground to the NFL and NASCAR every single year.

Barry Bonds has also filed for free agency. Some team will sign him as a DH and in return he will put people in the seats. The same people who love to go to the side shows at the county fair. The same people who will stop to watch a car wreck. Barry Bonds is nothing more than a freak show and the living embodiment of everything that is wrong with the MLB right now. Some team will overpay for him to be injured most of the next season which in turn will make the prices of the tickets for that team go way up and which also in turn will limit the amount of people who will be able to go to the game which in turn will breed even more disinterest in your miserable league.

See how that works MLB? It really isn't the sport. Minor league teams do well with the fans. There are some indie leagues that do well with the fans. When it comes to the major's, who cares.

Now on to Week 8!!!! My money team will be full strength this week and hopefully will rebound and gain some ground back I lost last week. I was in second overall in points in the league but last week was a disaster and I lost ground to the first place team.

I'll have Bulger, Holt, Moss, Brown for my QB and WRs and Tiki and Laurence Maroney for my RBs. Tiki has been very frustrating for fantasy owners this year. He is putting up tons of yardage but isn't scoring TDs. I've made a huge error though and plan on correcting it this week. I have had Ladell Betts in my lineup and have the rights to Maurice Drew-Jones. So since it looks like he is the real deal at RB for Jacksonville and will take over for Fragile Fred Taylor before the season ends I plan on activating him today.

He'll stay on the bench since Jacksonville is taking on Philadelphia but he'll be an option for those weeks when you play the match ups.
I just need to gain ground this week and see if I can get back into contention again.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Maybe we can pass some sort of law where the Mets, Yankees, or Red Sox must be in every World Series from now on. That would get me to watch. Also, this WS served one very useful purpose: it was so slow and boring it got me to sleep really well. The only downside was that I had to read the paper to see who won the next day. I find it mind-blowing to think that Jeff Weaver now has a championship ring.