Saturday, October 14, 2006

DISASTER!!!!

Alright so after a long day of shooting I walk into the house and what do I find?

A dead PC with two big blank monitors staring at me. I do a check of the power strip, change outlets, all of the technical stuff I know to see what the problem might be and settle on the problem. The power supply has gone bad.

There isn't a lick of power entering through the power supply to any portion of the rig. I call a pc mechanic and he confirms my diagnosis.

So what does this mean? Well for the time being I am laptop bound. Fortunately my wireless network still is working fine and I have a fast working portable PC so I can still have my addiction:)

A power supply isn't that big of a deal on a regular PC. This one happens to be a very powerful PC though and requires a bigger power supply than normal. This is a 500 watt box and it takes a lot of power.

They are reasonably priced so it won't take that much to replace it. The time consuming part will be the physical replacement of it. That will probably take a good couple of hours. I have built my own systems before and for the most part it isn't that hard. This one though is much more difficult since it was a custom built rig and as I said, it is a power hungry beast that connects to so many different parts that it is insane!!!!

Well the first step is to locate a power supply.

No comments: