Thursday, October 04, 2007

1408: The Host

I saw two movies the other night and both were pretty good!
First up was 1408 in which a writer, John Cusack investigates haunted places. Now anyone who knows me knows that I complain about modern horror movies since they aren't scary and substitute gore and violence for tension and genuine terror. They rely too much on the cat in the closet scare tactics accompanied with the loud burst of music or sound instead of building tension through something called a story.

So here comes 1408, a movie that I've been interested in seeing since I first saw the previews quite some time ago. Too me this was a pretty good movie! It had some genuine tension in it. It was slowly built up so that nothing came off as phony or cheap. The acting was very very good. Samuel L. Jackson did a amazing job with his part but this was clearly Cusack's movie.

Watch it, I think you'll enjoy it!

Next up was The Host. A Korean version of Godzilla! This movie was half drama, half big monster movie, and half comedy. You say "But that's three halves!" I say it is a big movie and one of the reasons some of the best horror movies today are coming from Japan and Korea. Watch Oldboy or The Audition and tell me I'm wrong after you have compared it with the horrible movies we are getting here that pass for horror.

The Host was fun, about as scary as Godzilla but it was a fun and good movie all the way through!

No comments: