Monday, October 08, 2007

Silent Running

I've finally had the chance to watch Silent Running, the 1972 Bruce Dern scifi/fantasy movie. A friend and I used to chat online while mutually watching Six Feet Under and in one season Arthur Martin and the mom were having a movie night and they were watching this movie. I have wanted to see it since! I have to say that once you get beyond the hippie/tree hugger influence it is a pretty good movie!

I mean Freeman Lowell does kill off his fellow shipmates to protect a forest dome but other than that he is a pretty nice guy. He reprograms two droids to be his friends, well since he killed off the other three and hijacked his space freighter he has to have someone to talk to.

Apparently the Earth is now pretty desolate so they have grown forests on these massive ships and then for some unexplained reason they have to jettison the forested domes before returning home. Got no clue as to why but that was the order.

So Lowell takes his brand of conservationism to a bit of an extreme. I guess this could be considered a bit of a kids movie. It is Disneyesque in a way.

Worth a Netflix rental though!

I'm off to watch the Monday Night game in a little bit! So have a good evening everyone!!!!

No comments: