Thursday, October 18, 2007

What Is Sparta?


Alright so yesterday was VERY rainy. There is a big leak in the building I work in at the major intersection. It has leaked for years and years now and resists all repairs. It is probably the most expensive and least effective roof repair of all time!

Well my friend and fellow Drinkbuster Weezy had put this pic up on her My Space for a couple of days. I was struck by the idea of replicating the same sign at work to draw a few chuckles.

What happened was no less than bewildering. EVERYONE without fail asked, "What's Sparta?"
It had me screaming! Alright I can forgive not knowing anything about the Battle of Thermopylae and King Leonidas. I can forgive not reading history books or not paying attention in class. I can forgive not reading a comic. But come on people! EVERY trailer for 300 had this scene in it!!!! They ran for months before the movie premiered! Even if you have not seen the movie I know you have seen the preview for the movie!

Even a guy who has seen the movie TWICE asked me about it!!!! He thought that it had to do with the water on the floor and that maybe there was water in the pit that the ambassador was kicked into by King Leonidas!!!! I can't make this up!

I didn't know that I should have written out an explanation and taped it up above the sign so that people would get it and KNOW WHERE SPARTA WAS, NOT TO MENTION IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE SPARTA WAS, THAT WASN'T THE POINT!!!!

Ok so maybe I have a massive amount of pop culture junk rolling around in my head and things are funny to me and I just assume that everyone is on the same page that I'm on. I know I have a lot of inside jokes and subtleties in my head that is a bit esoteric. But this wasn't one of them.
This was pretty upfront and simple and still no one got it....

No comments: