Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Battle Beyond The Stars

I revisited one of my old drive in movies last night via Netflix. Anyone who knows me knows that I used to go to the movies a lot as a kind and that the town I went to grade school in had a theater within walking distance and a drive in that either my parents or friends parents would take me to.

Well one evening around 1980 in the wake of Star Wars, Battlestar, and other scifi movies and shows, Battle Beyond The Stars was playing which is a Roger Corman version of either The Seven Samurai OR The Magnificent Seven but closer to the later since Robert Vaughn plays the same character by a different name.

Richard Thomas starred as Shad and when John Saxon decided to invade Shad's peace loving planet, Shad has to find people to defend them. You've seen it before however this version is not only good but a low budget scifi classic!

The cast is solid and do their best with the lines given them. The effects are Corman cheap but effective in delivering the story. It is very hard to find on DVD now unless you look on Ebay. It was a very limited release. I hope it is revisited though and cleaned up and restored. It deserves that much.

That is the beauty of Netflix, you get to watch many many movies from your youth that you really wouldn't spend the bucks to get.

No comments: