Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Devil Site

After my friend Bob introduced me to the world of cigars, very generously I might add. I started my journey into learning more about them. It was quite overwhelming at first. I didn't know a Maduro from a Churchill.

Once I learned that there are different sizes and wrappers, not to mention brands, then it was easier. The guys on the message boards were and are very helpful...and again generous with newbies and helped guide me into what I should know.

One thing I learned by reading is about the devil site or cigarbid.com. This is a place where you used to be able to buy cigars cheaper than catalog prices and get a fairly good deal. Now a lot of people know about it and tend to bid just to bid and the prices frequently go higher than what you can buy them from Cigarsinternational.com which owns Cigarbid.com.

You really have to pay attention when bidding and make your maximum bid just that. Well this past week I purchased two five packs of Joya de Nicaragua brand cigars. They are known as some of the strongest made. After they rest in a humidor for a while the harshness goes away but the strength is still there. These are for seasoned cigar aficionados and not for newbie smokers who would likely toss their cookies.

I had one this previous Summer and it was strong. Very rich in flavor though. Not harsh but it was very full flavored. I only had one at the time which is why I decided to stock up over this Winter for Summer time.

It is great when you can sit outside on the lawn with a drink, most times water for me, in the evening and relax after work with a cigar. I spent many evenings like this over the past Summer and warmer Fall days. This Winter I have had exactly three cigars and all of those were on very nice days.

So I've learned it isn't an addiction. You don't inhale them and you don't see cigar smokers rushing off of a three hour flight to the smoker's lounge. You find the right time and the right place and hopefully have good company with you to enjoy a relaxing cigar with.

No comments: