Thursday, January 01, 2009

Self Reflection Time

As per most people's custom, well those who are self aware enough to know that you should occasionally reflect on where you have been and where you might be headed, I've spent a bit of time reflecting today....in between naps....and getting fuel and food.

2008 was a good year for me. It had its down moments but I believe overall it had at least twice as many up moments. Yeah my retirement fund tended to collapse a little bit towards the end of the year. That kind of sucked, especially if I had been close to retirement age. Didn't get me down too much though, I even bumped up my contribution by another two percent. Why not take advantage of a down market?

I met someone who is very smart, nice, and fun! That was in around October, we'll see where this is headed but it is looking good! Planning a trip to Vegas in March. That was a good thing.

My dad and brother put aside their differences last week on Christmas and have started out fresh. This is something that has bothered me for the last couple of years and I believe that it is going to be pretty good now.

My dog died. Not a good thing but I still had my cats which as quirky as they are, kept me happy.

I was introduced in March to a brand new simple pleasure in life which in hindsight I probably should have blogged about more as it was pretty interesting material. I mentioned to my friend Bob that I was interested in sharing a cigar with him someday. He responded by giving me a humidor and about forty premium cigars. I was completely astounded. I started out researching all things cigar. Every Summer evening that was pleasant I spent about an hour in a lawn chair with a cigar, my iphone's music files, and a drink of some sort....mostly water but sometimes one of a more adult nature.

Anyway I have learned a lot about cigars and since it has been cold out I also learned I don't need them at all. Cigars are about relaxing, preferably with a friend if you can, a beverage, a nice evening, and enjoyment. As you don't inhale a cigar you don't do it for a nicotine fix. You don't see cigar smokers running off of an airplane to light up a Padron 1964 Naturale. Anyway that was a good thing that happened.

I had my twentieth year class reunion which I blogged about quite a bit. I enjoyed that!

Had that bout with kidney stones early last year, that did kind of sucked but since then I've really kept up on drinking tons of water. I am more aware of a lower sodium diet but haven't kept to it like I should be the past few weeks.

I was more involved with the theatre this past year than I ever thought I would have been. Turns out I have a hard time saying no if someone asks for help on a project. Really enjoyed my time at the theatre and I've learned a lot. We'll see how many projects I get involved with in 09.

As far as being a bit more introspective about 2008 I guess that I've gained a few scars, healed a few older wounds, and I'm anxious for more. I've still got a selfish streak that I fight constantly. I've had stumbles and set backs to plans and machinations of grand design. I've wondered lots of why, lots of when, and even more how. I don't reckon that this self introspection will even be fully complete as it is a sign of self growth, learning, and evolving. I was in a living rut for a long time and since I've started writing this blog I made marathon like strides away from that rut.

Away from living decay and mental atrophy. Yeah I've got my down times but who doesn't. They are fewer and farther between now than ever before. More often than not things get better now than before.

2009 is sure to be just as good and likely better!

No comments: