Thursday, March 18, 2010

Odd Dreams

The past few evenings I've been haunted by a bizarre reoccurring dream. First let me preface this by saying I've never been to Mexico and I've never had many reoccurring dreams in my life.

I'm traveling South. From where I don't know, just South. I get to the Southern border and it is very sandy. There are no border guards, nothing but a highway and an invisible barrier. I get out of the car and then I'm hit by an oppressive feeling of dread. There really isn't a barrier, it is just a feeling that if I go further, well I really shouldn't.

The streets are dusty, sandy, and hot. If they were made of asphalt they would be melting. I get back into the car and drive into the blast furnace of a barren landscape.

I push further and further. There is really nothing around for as far as the eye can see. I feel I'm coming up on an ending to the journey soon though. As far South as I can go there are the ruins of a town. A town that could have been actually.

I get out and investigate a little. There aren't any residents there, the remnants of a big steak house, thousands of houses, newly built and never lived in now falling into ruin. A brick main street, broken street lights. A central building that had a faded banner about buying a house in this new perfect community.

Most of the streets were nothing but sand and deep sand at that, it had blown for years and years building up in every corner and doorway. Everything was eroded and wind worn.

There really isn't an ending to this dream, I just look around at the ghost town and envisioning what the founders envisioned and why and what happened. I get odd feelings, violent feelings, sad feelings, unfulfilled dream feelings.

It's a place I'd really like to visit again though.

No comments: