Saturday, March 27, 2010

Smoking Away

Last night around eight thirty I put a brisket on and a pork shoulder or Boston butt to smoke over night. I set the draft vents on the big green egg when the fire reached the temperature of two twenty five which is where I wanted it to cook over night.

I got up a little bit ago to find I had closed the bottom draft vent a bit too much and while there were still coals burning the temperature had dropped to around one twenty. I just opened the vents and the fire is building to where it should be again.

The meat looked done but not quite tender yet, it requires some more cooking. I won't be able to pull the pork apart until maybe another two hours of cooking. It was my first overnight cook on the egg and I was trying really hard to lock the right temperature down.

The egg is remarkable in that it will hold whatever temperature you put it at for long hours. I misjudged and played it a little to close this time. I learned and now I know next time where the vent should be.

No comments: