Friday, March 05, 2010

Operation: Making Bacon Day Seven

Despite this being day seven in the bacon making adventure it is really only day six of the cure. When I purchased the meat it was frozen solid and had to thaw before curing.

The good news is that I purchased what I needed yesterday to complete the cold smoke. I bought an electric charcoal starter, a wood chip pan, and some hickory wood chips. I really wanted maple wood chips but could not find any. Hickory will do very well though.

The heat/air guy called me yesterday. He will be starting things on Monday! Turns out the code inspector is out of town and won't return until Monday. So next week the new system will be installed!

This morning I will film my first video piece for profit. I've done this for years for free and as you loyal readers know recently decided to turn it into a side business. Independent filmmaking is expensive and for the most part few people see your work. Yeah, that's what you call a labor of love, it might be the very definition in fact.

Over the years I've developed my skills to the point that now I believe I can run a successful commercial enterprise. I had spent literally thousands of dollars on equipment, software, and this computer. I've paid my dues to learn my skills and they have been years in the making. Just around twelve years now as it was around ninety eight or so when I started the process of learning about framing a shot, lights, software programs that did magical things, directing actors on film, writing, editing, and cheap special effects.

All of that and I've never made a dime off of these developed skills. I guess maybe I didn't have the confidence in myself to attempt such an endeavor until recently.

Today is officially day one. The first day of shooting the first frames for a profit. March 5, 2010 and I'm open for business!

No comments: