Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stepping Out Of The Diesel

Yesterday was a good day. I got to work to find that pretty much everything was caught up and I really didn't have anything to do. They were going to start cutting out a large square piece of concrete in the shop next to us, a very long and noisy process, and I wanted to go talk to a bank.

These three things conspired in my head to lead me to take off work. So I asked my supervisor to have off six hours. He gladly said yes and off I was to start the day.

My sister in law had offered their 2001 Chevy Tahoe to us for an unbelievably low price of two thousand dollars. You have to understand this this a top of the line Tahoe, leather seats, third row seating, the whole nine yards.

I quickly did a mental calculation of how much it would take to get my Suburban running at full capacity again, one thousand for the transmission, maybe two hundred for the brakes and master cylinder, another three hundred for the glow plug controller to be replaced, and all of a sudden I wasn't too far from upgrading to this much newer vehicle.

So I went to the bank, no hassles, no long negotiations, nothing. Twenty minutes after walking in I could have signed the papers. They had a real estate deal going on so they weren't able to get the paper work done until four that afternoon. So I went and changed my insurance from the Suburban over to the Tahoe after the loan was secured.

I called my brother to see if he wanted to go on a road trip that evening, he said he would, he called his friend, Fat Plumber and all three of us drove to Norman. We left town here a little after six thirty.

We met my sister in law, signed the title, got the keys, and hugged good bye. The three of us went to fuel up the Tahoe and that gave Fat Plumber (who is also a darn good mechanic) a chance to raise the hood and look it over.

He was very impressed with the amazing condition of the vehicle. Very well maintained, and has been kept on a scheduled maintenance plan since it was bought.

This new vehicle will serve us for a long time!

After topping off with gas we headed back home, arriving back to the house around eleven o'clock. I promptly kissed The Date and headed to bed exhausted from the turn around drive.

Morning came way too soon but I feel good!

No comments: