Sunday, March 07, 2010

Operation: Making Bacon Is Over

For now.

Last night I smoked the two slabs of bacon and delivered one quarter slab to Jamal and the other quarter to Filmmaker friend Chris. That leaves one half of a full slab for my family and believe me it's a ton of meat.

The taste is rich, sweet, and very good. After tasting it I believe it would make better sandwich bacon than breakfast bacon. The lighter tasting lettuce would be an excellent contrast to the richer, meaty bacon. It is really meaty and surprisingly not a lot of fat after frying. I could eat a lot of IHOP bacon for instance but I couldn't eat as much of this bacon because it is filling and meaty.

I started the smoker before seven last night and let each slab smoke for just over an hour and a half. I'll have to make a different smoking apparatus for next time though as my electric charcoal starter caught the wood on fire after I opened the lid of the Big Green Egg. It was just too much oxygen and it was too hot.

No big deal though, I pulled the meat from the newly formed fire and wrapped it in foil before removing the starter and closing the lid which extinguished the fire.

Yes I'll be making more bacon as The Date said it tasted amazing and said we will do all of our bacon this way from now on. It tasted better than I had hoped it would and it definitely has that bacon flavor that everyone loves.

I spent the rest of the day editing the business video I had shot on Friday. I had until Tuesday to get them a proof but I don't like to wait until the deadline to get things finished. Chianti gave an OK to the first proof, offering a few suggestions for changes. I made a DVD copy and headed over to her house to approval. I forgot to put a lower third placard on the tour guide and she made a suggestion for music over the opening title.

I got up at six this morning to make those two changes and now the final cut is rendering away as I type this. She liked the cut I made before the last two changes, one of which I just overlooked. It's good to have an extra set of eyes looking at something you have spent hours working on. You just overlook things sometimes.

It is a successful first project! Now this cut will go to their corporate people for approval and I might have to make a few more adjustments before it is ready to send off to the company. I expect at least one or two more, I just don't know what they would be yet.

No comments: