Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What Happens?

Once you feel you've peaked, what happens next?

Here's why I'm asking. In twelve years I'll be able to quit my job and retire with a decent pension provided the Feds don't figure out a way to take it first and waste it in the social security program.

After I retire what do I do? If I indulge myself for even the first month, drink coke, and eat doritos and cheetos I'll get bored with that fairly quickly. Granted I'll probably still be a gamer of some sort in twelve years and that'll give me something to do while The Flintstones are on commercial break.

Travel? Everyone wants to travel once they retire. Good idea! I've been reading up on Belize and how Americans are moving there as it is very easy to do. The national language is English, home prices will really stretch your retirement dollar until it screams for mercy, food can be a bit high but there is always a cost of living trade off somewhere.

I really believe Belize could become a winter destination of some sort. Tropical, mild, coastal, gorgeous beaches, great diving if The Date and I were so inclined to scuba dive.

Belize is definitely on the list.

More than what I want I know what I don't want.

A co-worker recently quit work. He had just had enough, close to retirement age but still a couple of years away. He had worked there since sixty eight except for a stretch in the Navy.

Another co-worker and I took his retirement plaque over to him and we asked what he planned to do. He himhawed around over the question indicating he had no plans but to sit in front of his TV and that was about it barring a home repair that would occasionally creep up.

His house long paid for, no family to take care of, the occasional friend to road trip with. That was about it. He's in decent health so he probably has another twenty to thirty years left in him...that's a long retirement of watching TV.

So that's what I don't want outside of a Flintstone marathon on Boomerang from time to time. Really underrated show that holds up well even today:)

Yes I am thinking about it now as the way time flies by twelve years will be here in a blink if I'm not careful, it will be for you too.

No comments: