Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A Small Win!

No not in the strike issue although that is the most pressing issue right now, a win nonetheless.

I fixed my truck. Sometime between 1984 and now the top oil line on the 6.2 liter Chevy diesel had been altered to today's standard which means the fittings no longer fit. I ordered two lines for a grand total of a tick over two hundred dollars, something I can ill afford right now but had to be done as I was borrowing a vehicle.

So I got the lines off, put the bottom line on, worked perfectly, went to put the top line on and the fittings were opposites. I took the line back to the dealership as none of the auto parts places carried those lines anymore, and they said it was the right line but in case it wasn't marked correctly they overnighted one more line to see if it would work.

I went in there this morning after picket duty to find that the line was identical to the one that would not work. They suggested a machine shop that had line supplies as a last ditch hope. They cheerfully refunded my money and off I went.

I got there a little after they returned from lunch and they were doubtful they could help but told me they would give it a shot if I wanted to return in an hour. I go back an hour and a half later and they had just finished being busy and hadn't gotten to my line yet.

The owner said if I would hang out a couple of minutes then he would get right on it. He did too! He was making one line before mine and then devoted his full attention to my line. In a matter of two minutes it was finished, I paid and was on my way to see if it would work.

Triumphantly in just a couple of minutes I had the new line bolted on and tight. I filled the oil back up to normal and then fired it up.

NO LEAKS!!!! It worked! I can't accurately tell you how much I needed a small win today. Just a little boost of something that went right after the past few weeks of unexpected expenses piling up. From my beloved little kitty to the oil lines going bad, to even the hot water line yesterday, and ultimately the strike.

This was a good day.

No comments: