Monday, June 22, 2009

Strike Day Fifteen

And hopefully the last day of our strike. I'm really looking forward to clocking in to my regular job tomorrow and ending this thing! I'm sick of it, I was sick of it from the start and now I'm fifteen days into it and feel that no one has really won anything.

I read the proposal and it really isn't that far off from what was negotiated to start with. Mostly language changes and the way we are able to use our paid leave. There is actually more money in this contract which is a surprise to me. A quarter percent each year higher than the original offer and money going into the pension plan.

That is good but again the last two weeks is income we will never get back. It has set a lot of people back in their monthly bills, fortunately I'm not one of them. With my temp job, The Date's income from her three jobs, and family support I think we are fine.

If we go back to work tomorrow I'll get a half paycheck on July third and full paychecks after that! The half and next full paycheck will be tight but we can manage them well enough to keep everything up to date and eat well. I feel for the people who the strike really hurt who were living paycheck to paycheck. They will have a tougher time recovering but at least they will recover.

I hope everyone out there had a great Father's Day and really appreciated it. Sometimes you don't realize how important a dad is until they are gone.

No comments: