Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's Official!

My long referred to second project is now official. Beersnob and I will be starting a commercial business. There is really only one game in town and they are outrageously expensive.

Those of you who know me know that my car is paid for. I edit on my home system, again paid for. My camera (serviceable right now but will be upgraded) is also paid for. I use the same software as the other place.

By contrast (and keep in mind I like the guy, he is really nice) he drives a newer Suburban, he has a business in which he pays for, a camera, and employees.

Anyone with local cable has seen his work, I'll leave it at that.

We plan on specializing in internet only commercials. TV might have to wait until the camera upgrade which I'll not pay for until the business can pay for it.

My strategy is to charge $200 for a twenty second internet only, edited commercial.
If you want three of them I'll charge you $500. If you want an actor it'll be $50 for each actor we use.

For training films, safety films, DVD brochures, and real estate, well I'll have to give you a quote on that but it'll be cheaper than anyone else because I don't have to pay anyone else or pay for anything else. The money we earn will go for upgrades.

Quite honestly there isn't a lot of thought put into making an internet commercial, most of them are edited versions of TV commercials. To me an internet commercial should get its point across in twenty seconds or less with no sound on. I know I always mute them or turn the sound down when they pop up. I figure I'm an average internet user and so are most of the eyes you want to see your commercial.

We'll build a commercial from the ground up with what you want to say in a visual way. We'll get your point across even if the viewer doesn't have any sound operating. If I'm not happy with the product I shoot, I'll reshoot it and get the scenes I need to make it right and then I'll see if you, the customer is happy with it. If not I'll reshoot it or reedit it.

Beersnob is crucial to this whole thing working. Both of us have busy lives and it'll take someone I can trust to take the equipment out and shoot, edit, and deliver a product if I'm not available to do it. I trust him, I know him, I believe he can do it.

I'm excited about this project, I think it is a need in town that has gone unchallenged for too long, and I think it's time to lay down that commercial making challenge!

No comments: