Friday, January 08, 2010

Sometimes It's Too Cold

For a diesel to start. I was running out of starting fluid and used the last 1/3rd of a can this morning trying to get my big diesel to turn over and catch. A quick rummage around the house for The Date's keys yielded no results so I had to wake her up briefly to talk to her. I learned the keys were in her coat pocket! Now we are getting somewhere.

I quickly located them and was off to the quick shop to get more starting fluid. I found what I needed to purchase and jetted back home to see if my new purchase had more umph than the last can with little pressure in it.

It did. The fluid was finely atomized and had plenty of pressure to get the needed ether down into the air intake! Now to try the engine itself. It didn't seem to want to catch. I added more ether to the engine thinking that if it didn't start this time I was going to have to use more leave up which I didn't want to do after yesterday.

It hit, the big diesel roared to life, literally a roar because it started to suck all of the extra ether in the intake in and burn it. I was so happy! Now it is warming up and getting itself ready for a chilly day!

I keep the water dripping during the Winter, I've crawled under the house too many times to fix busted pipes in the mud to let another one happen. I texted The Date to let her know if she heard water rushing under the house there was a shut off valve in the front of the house under the metal cover. She looked and saw water standing and texted me back that something had broke.

I took off work and rushed home to investigate the damage, dreading going under the house again in the cold mud and water to fix something. It was only the drain pipe to the sewer. Leaving the water drip had built up some ice and the water was going to an overflow which was spilling out onto the ground.

I boiled some water and poured it down the bathtub drain and fixed the problem:) The day was saved!

No comments: