Saturday, February 17, 2007

Opening Night

The first production went pretty well. Everything went smoothly and pretty much without a hitch.
Catina has done a splendid job in preparing this production with a minimal amount of setbacks.

I have also learned that there is a big elderly population in town. From my vantage point in the balcony I saw an audience of probably 70% made up of an older set. It really makes me wonder who will see the shows after this generation that patronizes the theater now is gone. I'm serious I saw maybe only a handful of people my age or younger with most everyone else being around 60 or above and few in between.

Now for everyone who knows me knows that I'm not a theater fan. For some reason it has just never really clicked with me. So now I will have to report that it is fun. I enjoyed the theater and since I have a personal interest in this show I'd have to say I've done a 180 degree turn on my opinion of theater in general. That doesn't mean I'll be involved in a show in the future other than the capacity I am serving in now though. I'm a film guy, that is what I love and my passion. But the theater is a good evening of entertainment. The cast has worked very hard to prepare for this show. The audience enjoyed it.

The casts for most of the shows are of a wide array of ages with from what I've seen my age or younger so I know that the shows will go on for years to come. I just wonder who is going to see them unless something is done to attract audiences that are closer to the cast's ages or younger.

It seems that they just don't target a younger audience. Perhaps they should have the regular season ticket holders donate their tickets to a good show to a high school class or something that would spark the interest in a younger generation. I really don't have an answer to this but I do see a growing problem in the next decade or so if nothing changes now as the regular patrons age away.

No comments: