Thursday, February 01, 2007

Snakes On A Dream

Yeah folks I actually watched Snakes on a Plane last night.

As long as you put your brain on pause and don't think about what you are watching, you might enjoy it.

I did balance that movie though with Burden of Dreams. A documentary about the filming of Fitzcarraldo.

This movie is a bit hard to describe so you might go to Amazon.com to look it up however Burden of Dreams is much easier. It is about the monumental construction of this movie and taking a 350 ton steam ship to the top of a mountain in the amazon jungle to be an opera house.

This is how everything can go wrong with a film and the struggle to keep your very own sanity as months and years go by, four years to be exact. To keep the investors from revolting against you, losing your two main actors after a few weeks of shooting, and really holding everything together.

Werner Herzog refused to settle. He was literally burdened with this dream of making this movie Fitzcarraldo.

How do you get that drive? That drive to refuse to give up when the whole world is against you, the weather is against you, the equipment is against you, the crew and cast turn against you, and a steam ship refuses to navigate a mountain?

I don't know. I have searched myself and I know that I can have that kind of drive about a couple of things but that is about it. Everything else has been worn down or away.

I suppose a dream is one of them and yeah....it can be a burden.

No comments: