Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fear And Its Uses

I'm recently dealing with new things as you long time readers will already know...like teens (well not exactly but long story) anyway back to the point. Thing 1 now has a boyfriend. By all accounts he is a very good kid from a good family.

No disagreement with me there. No problems. He is terrified of me, so much so that he actually called Thing 1 last night while I was in the yard with a cigotch and asked her what he should do. Whether he should come in or not and how to get past me.

That is the power of fear and something that will keep me from being a grandparent for a few more years.

Let me 'splain, she is fifteen he is sixteen. Now those of you who actually know me know I'm a easy going, affable, and a reasonable person, willing to help anyone in need at any time....unless you hurt someone I know and care for. I'll be a different person then and I don't like that. It makes me sick inside.

With every fiber of my being I'll take care of my loved ones well being as anyone who is a real man would. I'm not unique in this way or at least I'd hope I'm not if not below average in this department.

To a sixteen year old (reportedly a good kid) I hope I'm the most terrifying thing he has ever encountered.

One time I was called upon at one of my Northern Brother's wedding to give a message to my Northern Brother's sister's boyfriend (stick with me here) who seemed like a good kid. We shared a hotel room and I had brought my .357 with me...said good kid entered the room while I was cleaning my .357 Colt King Cobra. Magnificent weapon by the way. Stainless steel, six inch barrel, custom grips. I miss that weapon.

Anyway back to the point, good kid enters hotel room (I knew about when he was going to return and was waiting on him) he said he felt that Northern Sister didn't really think that Northern Parents liked him that much. Calmly I said, "I don't think they do. Might be a good idea to think about other people." To a twenty year old it might have seemed funny, to a young teen it was terrifying.

Turns out he had turned into a loser and would have been a horrible choice for Northern Sister. Northern Sister deserved much better and has since gone onto great things!

I doubt if this sixteen year old would turn into that but I do remember what I was like at sixteen, and fifteen. I wouldn't have gotten along with me now. I wasn't who I am now, immature, impulsive...well not such a stretch but I wouldn't have liked me now.

The Date informed me last night during my unwinding cigotch (which consisted of a Glenrothes 16 year old and a Oliva Serie V (my last one) that sixteen year old felt horrible that I didn't like him or talk to him. Honestly I want him to think I'm the Wrath of God and that the law itself might be his only relief if he should lay an unwanted hand on Thing 1. That kind of fear prevents bad situations later on.

No comments: