Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sometimes Life Is Good

So there I was sitting out in my yard with a cigar. It was hot out, well over ninety in the early evening.

I had ice water instead of scotch. Those of you who have known me for a long time know I was single for a long time and life was good then too. I was happy as I normally am but things are different now. This is a different kind of happy.

Maybe more of a complete happy? My skill for written description fails me at the moment to adequately describe it. I've got The Date and The Things around now...not to mention another kitteh and a goggie (those of you who know lolspeak will get it) there is constant noise of some kind. Talking, growling, hissing, laughing, lots of things.

I am pondering this as I'm watching Sid and Nancy on Ovation. They were happy, very unhealthy for each other but happy in a way only they would understand. Their drug fueled relationship is the stuff of punk legend. They were loud, abrasive, and somehow in constant pain that was only relieved when they were with each other and when they were with each other they caused each other more pain.

Such an odd dynamic, this movie intrigues me and the personal relationships it depicts. I've seen it maybe half a dozen times and can't turn it off. Its a two hour train wreck.

Fortunately The Date and The Things...and the pets are far healthier for me than Nancy was for Sid. Their relationship was destined from the start to end one way, everyone knew it, everyone around them knew it, I think everyone expected it to happen.

Even though they spiraled down to day to day living, looking for their next fix in between drinks they were together. In their own self induced chaos they found a bleak solace in each other.

Yeah sometimes life is good in its own incarnations of existence. In the immortal words of the philosopher John Anderson, "But I've got the mornin' sun, I've got the evenin' breeze. I got the woman that I love lyin' close to me. I've got a few good friends and all my bills are paid. I got the moon and stars above and I've got it made"

No comments: