Saturday, October 08, 2011

Cabaret

I got through the workday, both jobs, and made it in time at cabaret to hear my baby sing! I clocked out at Walmart and ran over to the theatre to make it just as Thing 2, FFC, and Musical Genius just left the stage. I was sad that I missed them sing but I did make it in time to hear my wife rock the theatre's audience:)

I couldn't be prouder of my gifted family:)

After the set closed the show Tech Guy and I were chatting in the lobby. He had this observation that was really pretty profound and one that I and many of our age have noticed of the upcoming generations. Let me preface this by telling this short story, I had a conversation with a coworker at Walmart who stocks frozen foods.

He is in college and we were talking in the back room. He said there were a lot of hillbillies in a small town north of here. I said there weren't any because the land was flat and that Oklahoma wasn't where hillbillies come from. I explained to him where hillbillies came from and he said I was a historical genius or something. He also said he made good grades in his college classes. Now if THAT doesn't make you question our educational system I don't know what will.

So Tech Guy and I were chatting that the youth of today lack many mechanical skills that were commonplace in past generations. Tech Guy gave the example of ten guys riding in a jeep in WWII, if it broke down on the side of the road more than likely nine of them would be capable of fixing the problem. I myself am capable of fixing many minor problems that arise with owning a vehicle. Some things are obviously outside of my knowledge range and comfort level for example I wouldn't go tearing into a transmission without guidance. I can do the work if I had an over the shoulder mechanic guiding me but it's not something I'd attempt on my own.

Many growing up today lack those skills and many other skills. Carpentry alludes me even though that's one of the basic skills that I'd enjoy having mastered. I'm a basic welder, and I can paint anything that moves. I add to my educational background on my own and am always learning politics and the ins and outs of the political system. I know how the electoral college works and why it's necessary for example.

I'm always anxious to learn more in fact. I never cared for my education while I was in school as much as I care about it now and after I dropped out of college. I wanted to get on with living and being an adult. Classrooms weren't teaching me what I wanted to know.

So to wrap it up I'm thrilled that my wife did such a great job at cabaret, I'm thrilled it was another successful evening at the theatre, and I'm thrilled that my family is prone to working hard and learning more about being self sufficient. Basic skills that everyone should know and should endeavor to learn.

No comments: