Saturday, October 01, 2011

New Dilemma

At work yesterday, the main job not Walmart, I was informed that we'll be working sixteen hours of overtime this upcoming week. I knew right then I'd have to inform Walmart of having to be taken off of the schedule for three days in the evenings.

I'm already off Monday evening and we are not working overtime on Friday so I'd only be gone from Walmart on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings. I'd return back to Walmart on Friday for my normal shift. I told the managers and they were less than thrilled but said they'd give me an answer today.

Here's the dilemma, overtime at my main job is five times the pay, literally. I can work one single overtime hour and it's the equivalent of working a five hour shift at Walmart. So sixteen overtime hours is the same as working sixteen shifts of what I've been working at Walmart. That's a little over three working weeks as I work five days and get two off per week.

It's a no brainer, if they won't let me off I'll give them my badge and tell them it's been great, thank you for the job while it lasted. I can find another eight dollar an hour job without a problem. Yeah this job has been pretty solid, not going to lie about that. I'd hate to see it go away right now. It's a needed job and it's been a huge help in the debt snowball.

Wow, didn't think I'd say that but it's true! The managers have been coming around and getting to know they can depend on me lately. They aren't like someone I'd go have a drink with or anything but they've been decent people lately, they are doing their jobs and have a ton of responsibilities to do each shift. The dirty secret is, and one I keep to myself, I probably make at least three times what they make as well and put in less hours to do it. These people work a ton of hours.

For the right people Walmart is a good career move. It really is and I'm happy I'm there right now. It's really up to them if I keep this job or not. I'm one of the better workers they have now after I've gotten up to speed. I'm reliable, I don't call in like one of my coworkers has repeatedly the past two weeks, and I don't hide and screw off for a whole shift like another coworker does when I'm around.

I've got three great coworkers though and they can really do work, they are diligent and do good jobs! All in all I'm really thrilled that overtime has come up at work, I'm getting to the point now where Walmart is an easy job and the challenge is going away a little.

My choice is simple and clear but one way or the other the debt snowball isn't stopping until it's finished. By the end of my shift today at the latest I'll either be in the job market again or I'll be the same as I am now:)

Eye on the prize!

No comments: