Sunday, October 23, 2011

Much Better

Today was the last day of the antibiotics prescribed to me. I feel a ton better and will continue to improve from here. Yesterday at work was fairly easy. Just some stocking and such, nothing major at all.

The four and a half hours flew by and I was back at home a bit after six. Now I've got one more day like yesterday and then I'll head back to work like normal tomorrow. I guess I just wore my body down enough that I needed that kind of rest. When I look back through history at some of the most rugged men that came and settled this country I wonder if they ever had the same problems.

For example the coal miners who ushered in the industrial age and brought America to the forefront of modernization. They were essentially indentured servants for a long time, paid with coins that were only good at the company store. They were given housing but it was usually very shack like and ramshackle at best. But they were men and they went to work when they couldn't or shouldn't. Yeah they also had a very short lifespan and if a mine accident didn't get them then more than likely black lung disease did.

They were among the designers of this country that went unmentioned for the most part but had a work ethic that would shame many today that enjoy our country as it exists. Even at my best I will never be as tough as those men. Long hours, bad conditions, worse pay.

Today I go in for another four and a half hour shift of moving products from one section of the store to another section. Easy enough, and thank you to those that came before me and helped settle this country into what we now enjoy.

No comments: